To qualify as a merit badge counselor, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be proficient in the merit badge subject by vocation, avocation, or special training.
- Be able to work with Scout-age boys.
- Be registered with the Boy Scouts of America.
As a merit badge counselor, I agree to:
- Follow the requirements of the merit badge, making no deletions or additions, ensuring that the advancement standards are fair and uniform for all Scouts.
- Have a Scout and his buddy present at all instructional sessions.
- Renew my registration annually if I plan to continue as a merit badge counselor.